Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day 42 - March 12, 2013

3 days! 3 days! 3 days!

It is almost Spring Break, and I could not be more ready. It will be so nice to just take a break, get it all together, collect myself, and come back raring to go for my unit. I definitely need this refresher before I start it, because if I had to do it this week, I would lose my mind. It is just not going so hot this week. For many reasons.

Firstly, the bomb threats. Holy moly. It's still on the news, in the newspapers, etc., and there have been news stories written about how suspects are at large, how suspicious materials were found at a house in Tulsa related to the threat...and more. Parents are semi-freaking out. I follow the Cushing Public Schools page on Facebook and parents on there are complaining that school is in session at all(apparently we should have cancelled this entire week - like that's reasonable) and that the school district is "lying" and "hiding things" from them regarding these threats. Obviously I'm not on the inside and I don't necessarily know what exactly is going on, but it is making things a little tense at school and in the community. We only had 2 kids gone today, which was relieving because I was worried that more would be gone because of the new developments in the situation. Luckily, parents felt confident enough to send the kids back that they kept yesterday. Thank goodness!

We got to go outside today! That was such a relief, since we've been inside every day since about a week ago. The kids need to RUN!! And boy, did they. I'm also thankful that it has warmed up a little, since I'm on recess duty this week and I do not do well in the cold.

We journaled today about what the children like to do at school, and their entries were really great. It is so uplifting to see such progress in their writing after only being with them for 42 days. They are sounding out words on their own, learning more complex things like digraphs and blends, using punctuation and capitalization, and matching their illustrations to their writing! I took a lot of pictures again, and maybe I'll put some on here tomorrow. :)

I felt really good today about everything I taught. It was a good day. I need these last 3 days to be good, too. I really, really need it. One perfect week would be a great way to end this chapter (the pre-break chapter) of my student teaching experience. I'm not going to jinx myself like I did last week by saying "it's all downhill from here"...but I am thinking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment