Friday, March 15, 2013

Day 45 - March 15, 2013

Today was Moms and Muffins! It was very fun. We had a ton of muffins, and the kids could bring their moms to eat breakfast with them and go to an assembly celebrating them. I could not believe how many moms came! The cafeteria was completely full (people were sitting on the stage to eat their muffins) and we still had people in line for coffee and orange juice. I worked the orange juice station. It was fun, because it was the beginning of the muffin line and so every single mom passed me. It was a teensy bit mindblowing, because as teachers we sometimes forget that every child is someone's baby. It sounds so stupid to say, but when there are 26 kids running around you every single day, some of them get lost sometimes. (Not really, obviously...but lost in the sea of everyone else.)

And then with that, we sometimes can get frustrated when parents show up at the school randomly and want to talk about their children (doesn't happen to me yet, but it does to Aryn) right in the smack-dab middle of teaching time or when we're all running around trying to get things done. We can find ourselves thinking "I have 26 kids here. TWENTY-SIX." But these parents don't have 26 kids. They have 1. This little kindergartener is their entire world. My world has 26 of them there...fighting for my attention and time and love...but their world is completely centered around 1. I know it sounds ridiculous to say this (I mean obviously all of this is true) but it's just how I was thinking today.

I say I love my little kids a lot. I tell them, too. But today I got to actually see the women in their lives who love them a million billion times more than I ever could. I've met the moms before at conferences, but this was the first time I got to see them with their babies. I think that's a good life lesson, too...to just remember that everyone is somebody's baby. We can get frustrated with people and sometimes wonder what is WRONG with them?!...but they are still somebody's baby, and that somebody loves them very, very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment