Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Day 58 - April 10, 2013

Today, again, seemed like it went by very quickly and that I barely taught at all! Reading is my main focus right now and it's actually kind of nice because I can put more effort into it than I did the last few weeks. I feel like I'm in the zone right now when it comes to reading, actually.

Today I also found out that next week I'll be proctoring tests ALL WEEK. The principal came in and told Aryn that both Jennie and I would be pulled to proctor and so she'll be alone in the room. This kind of sucks, because Aryn had planned some really cool rotations for next week...but they needed to be teacher-led and so that's kind of out the window now. The principal just came up with this new rule last week that one day a week for the next five weeks is a "no copy" day. That means that the teachers can't assign anything to the kids that involves using copied things...worksheets, flash cards, etc. I'm not sure how this is going to play out in the upper grades. In kindergarten, we only use copied things for rotations, and since rotations are all week we're just going to cut out copied items for the next five weeks altogether. Aryn really isn't that concerned -- and I am not either -- but I have a feeling like this is going to change up a lot of things in the older grades.

Back to my point, which is that we can't do these cool teacher-led rotations next week (no teachers) and we can't do the independent worksheets that the kids do in rotations sometimes (no copies allowed), so the kids will be playing a lot of familiar games and making words out of magnetic letters. I think it will be fine, but I'm a little disappointed that we can't introduce the new games to them yet.

Another interesting development during testing week is that on Wednesday morning I have my final supervisor observation...which means I can't be a test proctor. This means that they're going to pull Aryn to proctor and I'll be leading the classroom in the morning and possibly afternoon, too. I'm kind of looking forward to doing opening again, since I just said that I wanted to try it again using what I've seen Aryn do now! I am really interested to see how this school handles testing. Next week will be an interesting one, for sure.

I can't believe this week is 1/2 over! Tomorrow I do rotations for the last time (once in the morning and once in the afternoon) and then it's only Reading from here on out! Wow. This is unbelievable. I really am so baffled by how close we are. Graduation is in 24 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment