Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Day 62 - April 16, 2013

It kind of felt like Wednesday all day today, so it's pretty disappointing each time I realize it's Tuesday (which is like once an hour). Still, this week is almost halfway over! I am looking forward to tomorrow because it's my last supervisor evaluation and I think it's going to be a good one. Since it's just Reading this week, I can focus a lot more on what I'm going to do to make it better each day. I just know it's going to be good. I love using the Smart Board...I hope that wherever I end up has Smart-Board equipped classrooms. If they don't, well then I just may need to write a grant to get some!

Proctoring the tests this morning was BORING. I was in a 4th grade classroom and my only job was to pass out the test booklets (which took forever because I had absolutely no idea what any of their names were) and walk around the room picking up the pencils they kept dropping on the floor. Other than that I read my book -- yes, for pleasure! I took a 19th-century literature class last spring and we read a play out of a book of 4 plays...which leaves 3 unread! I reread the one we did in class because I really enjoyed it ("No Exit" by Jean Paul Sartre) and then read another and part of a third. I think I'll finish them on Thursday when I proctor again. The test took about as long as I thought it would (I was in there from 9:00 until 11:45) but it went by quicker than I expected. It was math, so I think they finished a little faster than they will when it is time for reading.

From my own personal experience and my experiences as a teacher, reading tests take 150 years because you have so many passages to read and then you have to go back through the passages to find the answers. (On a similar train of thought, I'd just about had it with reading tests by the time I got to the ACT, and so instead of reading the whole passage and then answering the questions I would just read the questions and then search for them in the readings. I probably would have done better had I done it the way I was taught in school...and eventually I did, because I did it right the 3rd time and improved my overall score by 3 points. But it was still super annoying and took way longer.)

I missed the entire morning in kindergarten today, and boy did I miss it! I was only in Ms. Aryn's class for 3 hours today instead of the usual 7 and I did not like it at all! The kids gave me lots of hugs when I got back, and kept saying "WE MISSED YOU!!!!!!" I felt the exact same way. Tomorrow I get them all day and then Thursday I'm back in 4th grade, where there are no cute little orange and blue chairs, no carpet, and no little voices telling me how awesome I am. It also doesn't help that the teachers had to take down basically everything from their walls so as not to give the kids help on their tests, so the rooms are so bland and the walls are blank. Very boring to sit in. Very solitary confinement-esque. Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment