Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 17 - Feb. 5, 2013

Today was another good day for me, because I went in with a POSITIVE attitude and even when things went wrong (and oh, did they go wrong), it was fine.

The worst part of today was that this boy in my class -- one who has had a terribly rough time these last few weeks at home and at school -- was having a hard day again. He is one of those that I just want to take home and take care of...because I just feel like he so desperately needs it. I have been trying really hard (we all have) to help him succeed at school. It has been so hard because he can get so frustrated and lash out at other children both verbally and physically, so we have to "discipline" him. But it breaks my heart. I hate it when the kids -- any of them -- look so dejected. And it kills me when they say things like "Nobody likes me" (happened today) or "I don't like school anymore" (also today) because I just want them to be happy. All the time.

I do the best I can to cheer them up, help them learn, but keep them accountable for their behavior. I'm trying so hard to show them -- especially this one little boy -- that he can have a great time at school if he can learn to be kind and respectful to his classmates and his teachers. He is a bright child. That is also something I have seen lately: every child has a niche in which they succeed. Every child has something that they are good at, and that we can capitalize on. But some teachers just don't see it. I'm trying to see it. In the midst of all the children who don't know their letters, or recognize their numbers, or can't recognize even the simplest of sight words (where the rest of the class is succeeding)...there is always something that they are good at -- always something. And I am working so hard to figure out what that something is for each child, so that I can help them to build on this, and build their confidence and their happiness. You can just see how happy they are when they get to do that thing they're good at, and when it is acknowledged and applauded and celebrated.

I'm trying. I am really, really trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment