Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day 22 - Feb. 12, 2013

Today I did not feel better. In fact, I feel worse. But I'm powering through it because I have a lot of lesson plans to do tonight.

Today it snowed -- kind of. It rained for a while, and then the biggest flakes of snow ever fell for a while, and then it rained some more. So none of the snow stuck, but the children were SO excited and were just itching to get outside and play in...whatever it was that fell from the sky today. I felt bad that we had to keep them inside all day, but it was so cold! So, combining their antsy behavior with my constant coughing and wheezing...today was a hard day.

I started Rotations today, which means I'm doing small-group reading with all of the children over the course of the week. I really like it. Small groups are a lot easier than the whole group, which I am still really nervous about. I know I do the opening every day and it's been going just as well as always, but I'm not really teaching anything new -- it's mostly review with little bits added in here and there. So I'm getting pretty nervous about next week when I take over Reading, because that is where the most instruction takes place. I really like Reading, and it's always been my favorite to do with children, but I think I'm psyching myself out about how it's going to go. I have all the lessons planned, and I know they're good, but the problem is the teacher dialogue. Aryn is so good at talking with the children naturally and grabbing onto their comments for those ever-important "teachable moments"...and I worry that maybe I won't be able to do that. Again, I am making myself panic over what is probably nothing, just like usual. But I also usually work best under pressure so maybe they'll even out.

I'm the most nervous about my big two-week unit coming up after Spring Break. I know what I want to teach, but I've just got to work out the details. I should probably be working them out right now, actually, because I want all of my lesson plans done by Thursday so I have time to talk them over with Aryn before I turn them in on Friday. It would be a lot easier to do if my throat and head we're killing me and I wasn't coughing up a lung every five seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment