Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 18 - Feb. 6, 2013

Today, my cooperating teacher was observed by the principal, because they have to be evaluated every so often. She was so confident (which I guess makes sense, because she's amazing) and I was so happy to see that she didn't change herself or the way she taught just to put on a show. She was the same teacher she always is - because she is always a great teacher. I hear about other teachers who are completely different when they are being observed (e.g., mean to the kids every moment of every day, but nice to them when they're being watched -- UGH). I am so, so, so lucky to have been placed in her classroom this semester. I feel terrible for my classmates who don't feel like they are gaining anything from their student teaching -- it's sad, and frankly it's a waste of their time. Not me.

I am slowly building confidence and relationships with each one of the children. I am picking up on the little things about them that are so important to know: their interests, their skills, what motivates them, etc. I know that different children need to be taught in different ways, and so I am working on learning what this looks like for each one of them. It is hard, since I've only been around for a little less than a month, but I am learning! It is exciting for me. I am also super excited that parent-teacher conferences are tomorrow and Friday, because now I will finally be able to meet (or at least see) each child's parents and maybe get a better understanding of their home life/their family and how it might be affecting their school work -- for better or for worse! A couple of my classmates have already sat in on meetings, and they have been eye-opening.

We are nearing the end of Week 4. It has gone by pretty fast. I am looking forward to seeing if the next 11 weeks go by as quickly as these first 4 have. I'm not sure if I'm counting down the days excitedly or sadly. Probably both. I'm so ready to be done with my undergraduate degree...but being in the classroom with these children all day, every day is going to make me miss them like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment