Friday, February 8, 2013

Day 20 - Feb. 8, 2013

Again, today was another wonderful day of parent-teacher conferences. It didn't feel like I was at the school for over 3 hours doing conferences, but I was. I am baffled at how quickly the time flies during these meetings. I think it is because each one was so markedly different that I was genuinely excited for them all!

I was telling Jennie how I can tell how each parent has influenced their child. If you had lined up all the parents and all of the children in the room, I could have matched them up. For sure. Except for my little adopted Guatemalan, but I would have figured it out eventually :)

It's just so fascinating to see how little mannerisms, attitudes, and of course looks can be and ARE passed down from parent to child. I'm so glad that I got to get a glimpse into these children's home lives, what their family situations are like, who they love...

I feel so sad for teachers that do these meetings and don't get this feeling. The ones who sit down, do the academic thing, and then scooch the parents out the door. Aryn really TALKED to them, and asked them how they feel, how they're doing, and what is going on in their lives outside of their children...because all of this affects how the children are at school. I think some teachers miss this, because they just don't ask.

I'm going to be one of those teachers that asks, because it matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment